Eva St. Clare, is not only a Christ figure, but also an evangelist. Her given name, Evangeline, which means “bearer of good news” in Greek, immediately suggests that she will bring good news to other characters; that she will evangelize with the pure heart of a child. Her father confirms this thinking when he tells her, “O’ Evangeline! rightly named...hath not God made thee an evangel to me” (189). Eva brings many people closer to the good news, Christ. Two dynamic characters respond to Eva’s goodness, Miss Ophelia and Topsy, and these two characters appeal the most to me.
Miss Ophelia is the most realistic depiction of human nature in my mind. She is flawed, but she wishes she were not. She would like to believe that she is a good Christian woman who is not prejudiced, but the appearance of Topsy makes it increasingly difficult for her to maintain her position as unprejudiced. Her first reaction to Topsy clarifies her view of her: “Augustine, what in the world have you brought that thing in here for?” (246). Topsy is filthy dirty, and though she gives the appropriate “Yes, Mas’r” response, it is obvious that she is mocking both St. Clare and Miss Ophelia with “her wicked eyes twinkling as she spoke” (246). I must say, I fell in love with Topsy instantly! Despite being brutally abused by drunken masters, Topsy remains spunky and full of life.
When Topsy is caught with the gloves, and Miss Ophelia insists that she confess to her other thefts, Topsy creates stories of other stolen and destroyed items. When she is caught and asked why, she answers, “Cause I’s wicked, - I is. I’s mighty wicked” (253). Topsy’s view of herself is based on the abusive, drunken men who sold her to St. Clare. Her first glimpse of herself as someone of worth comes when Eva readily forgives her and promises her, “You’re going to be taken good care of, now. I’d rather give you anything of mine, than have you steal it” (254). Eva’s charitable nature influences Miss Ophelia. When Eva, the one person who loves Topsy, dies, Miss Ophelia is finally moved to compassion for the grieving Topsy. “Topsy, you poor child…don’t give up! I can love you, though I am not like that dear little child. I hope I’ve learnt something of Christ from her. I can love you; I do, and I’ll try to help you to grow up a good Christian girl” (306). Topsy is transformed by Eva’s love and advice, and she continues evolving with Miss Ophelia’s love. It is Miss Ophelia who fulfills Eva’s wish by freeing Topsy, a promise her father could not keep with Tom and the other slaves due to his sudden death. Miss Ophelia’s growth as a person (or character) inspires me. She brings hope to the book that others can make a similar conversion and learn to love all races.
Like Ophelia, I know that I am flawed. I am not as blind as slave owners to the sins I commit, and I am not as evil as Legree or Marie. I am simply imperfect. I hope that I am like Ophelia and able to see where I might improve. She is admirable in her ability to see the strength in Eva’s gentleness and to try to learn from it. She expresses her desire to learn “something of Christ” from Eva. Christians often acknowledge a more merciful and loving approach in the New Testament. However, the Old Testament shows that God loves even those who are imperfect. One of my favorite books is in the Old Testament, and I gave its name to my son, Jonah. The biblical Jonah does not obey God. Even when he goes against God, God still protects him. I am not a fundamentalist who believes that Jonah was literally swallowed by a whale, carried in its stomach, then spewed on to the shore; nonetheless, I believe in a loving God Who would go to such lengths to save even those who are imperfect. The characters of Miss Ophelia and Topsy speak to that idea. I don’t think we have to be perfect. I think we have to be open to loving and learning as Topsy and Miss Ophelia do in Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Saturday, April 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Kelly, I really enjoy reading your blog. The parts about Topsy made me grin; you really captured her essence. Your estimation of Miss Ophelia as the closest depiction of human nature is astute. I am well aware that I am flawed; I hope that I will always own up to that as Ophelia confesses to her mixed feelings about Topsy.
Thank you for the connection to Eva's name. That got right past me! I loved your comments related to our human condition and the fact that we are all imperfect. Just as Miss Ophelia, we also can learn from our mistakes and grow into beter people. This book certainly gives us some human characters to learn from.
I loved your comments at the end of your blog about not being "perfect." Are any of us? Isn't that what being human is all about? We each make mistakes and learn from those mistakes. Very few of us are as evil as Legree or Marie or as pure as Tom and Eva. It seems that most us of fall somewhere in between.
I liked the thoughts you expressed.There is no perfection, but the pursuit of being a better person is what counts. Some of us accomplish this with the help of religion and others simply through reflecting on their humanity. I think God would be pleased by either path. Stowe did portray this struggle very well in the characters of Ophelia and also ST.Clare.
My heart ached so when Eva died. What I found amazing was how Stowe described the moments leading up to Eva's death. The changes physically that Eva experienced when her soul was departing from her body. As a parent I would've been hysterical. Eva's character did bring about change in everyone on an emotional level except for her mother. I still don't understand her character. I never saw any good in her and she annoyed me so.
I appreciate your thoughts about the story of Joan and the lesson of a God who goes to extraordinary lengths to love and care for his own. This is not the story that many people are told while growing up in church. How this world would be different if we were taught as children that we are adored and our worth cannot be counted.
You know it took me a long time to realize that God loves me, always has loved me, and always will love me unconditionally. No matter what I do, how I look, or what circumstances I am in, I can know for sure that He loves me because I am His child. I appreciate Stowe creating the characters Miss Ophelia and Topsey to let us know that even when no one else love you, God does. And that everyone is worthy of being loved.
I still think that Eva was more a representation of a stereotype - angelic child sent to rescue vile humanity and called home too soon. While she provided some insight and a storyline and the Christ comparison is apt, she seemed to me a shadow of what a true literary character could be. Messages are often better sent through realism than sentimentality, depending on one's audience.
I agree on your thoughts of Topsy being spunky and full of life. She was a little bit of fun mixed into the book. Stowe did such a good job portraying the characters.
You give an excellent analysis of Miss Ophelia, Miss Feely, ironic. I think she also reflects that facade we sometimes put on for the world of making others see only certain sides of our personalities. In her child-like gentle way, Eva touches the soul of so many. She is the true example of perserving one's diginity. She does not see color or status. In fact she would sell all the fine things to help the slaves of her plantation. We are all a work in progress. As long as the work never stops progressing, I think we will be ok.
I agree with you, being open to loveing and learning are two things that will carry anyone far in life. If only the whole world could be so open-minded.
Post a Comment